Before starting the "expected" pattern detection post I want to comment that after a short break, we start to make a new version of PipePatch! We will inform the project's progress!
And now the post!! Enjoy!
Before this project, we had never work with image processing in flash, so for us it was a very big challenge. And we only had two weeks to develop it! But we were not scared, we were very motivated!
As you can imagine, the first thing we did was search Google for libraries that we could use. We thought that FLARToolKit could help us, but we realized that we had not enough time to learn how to adjust the use of patterns detection in FLARToolKit in our project.
So we decided to set ourselves the detection patterns with AS3!
The steps we did :
1. We save a jpg image of each pattern, with the size we were going to capture each pattern.
2. We capture a first image of the board without elements, for calibration.
3. We capture a second image of the initial stage, with the holes that the player had to complete.
4. When the player had put all the pieces, We captured a third image.
6.We trace the difference image collecting trace samples to compare with the various patterns that we use in the game.
game component, indicating the shape, the position and the orientation.
You can see that we worked hard but we have a lot of fun!
For the new version of PipePatch, let's change pattern detection using external libraries, but we will explain later!